TWISTER...


A gang of us was workin’ at “Ruther Glen”

But Bill drew the short straw to clean the pig pen.

Ned and me was just watchin’, side by side

When Bill chucked a shovel load; said we was snide!

All I could say was “Bloody bloomin’ heck!”

‘Cause Ned was standin’ there with nary a speck

While I was covered head to toe in muck.

There’s just no explainin’ that kind of luck.

“Bluey, why don’t you just throw young Ned in?”

Said Big Sid Reilly with a lopsided grin.



“No, I couldn’t do that,” answered I with a wink.

“Whatever would me dear departed Mother think?

‘Sides, Ned’s me mate and mates don’t do fer each other,

It’s not his fault Bill’s got no sense of humour.”

All this time Bill was lookin’ perplexed,

Convinced as he was that he’d cop it next.

See, I’m well known for me fiery red thatch

And people expect a temper to match.

But I’m an easy going’ bloke, as a matter of fact

And always make a point to think before I act.


  
It was a few days later, out at the old dunny

Somethin’ occurred that turned out to be funny.

The walls fell down, with a crash and a clatter.

Everyone came runnin’ to see what was the matter.

When the dust had settled, there was poor old Bill

Lookin’ shocked and shaken and more than a little ill;

Half standin’, pants down, he was a sight to see,

‘Specially since the Missus had the ladies to tea!

The Boss decreed it must’ve been a freak kinda twister.

Nevertheless, Ned and me left urgent, to visit me sister.


 © SMG 

August 5, 2014

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FAREWELL MUM...

A PSYCHIC BENT...